Thursday, September 23, 2010

Meeting Great-Grandpa Cecil

Last weekend was a very special weekend for our family. Charlotte is named after my dear grandmother, Charlotte Rita Bosworth. Grandma Charlotte was quite an amazing woman who passed away shortly before I found out I was pregnant. She and Grandpa Cecil have quite a story to tell, they lived a life that all of us should aspire to follow. They fell in love before Grandpa left for World War 2 and spent almost 4 years apart awaiting his return. One of my favorite stories about them is that they both joined the Catholic church during that time without knowing that the other one had done the same. (Clearly no i-phones or facebook!!) I believe that God brought them to each other and to Him and had an amazing plan for their life. They were married for almost 63 years before Grandma passed away last spring. They had 8 children in 11 years and raised them on what He provided. Their priorities were God, family and work. They sent them all to Catholic school and went to church every Sunday. They had 2 bedrooms for their kids, one for the 4 boys and one for the 4 girls. They eventually had 19 grandchildren and now have 12 great-grandchildren with 3 more on the way (if I am counting right)! They lost one of their babies to cancer at the age of 30, my Uncle Steve. They were never quite the same again, always missing a piece of their heart. But they picked themselves up, knew that they would see him again someday and carried on. They are proud of their family and they should be. Everytime I call Grandpa I get the update on what everyone is doing these days. He always says, "We've had a good life, just a few bumps along the way." I love spending time with Grandpa and would give anything to do it more often. It is hard for me to see him without Grandma, it is easy to see that another piece of his heart is missing. He has a great sense of humor at 86, is always offering everyone else a hand and has great stories to tell if you have time to listen. I am so thankful that Charlotte got to meet her great-grandpa Cecil. By the way, he keeps on mentioning that the name Cecil is still available. It cracks me up. Grandpa has an extra soft spot for little Miss Charlotte. He said that she is the prettiest little girl he has ever seen before (which made her mama cry). Quite a compliment coming from someone who has been around for 86 years. I wonder if her name makes him a little biased... Here are some pics of the fun:


We got to spend the weekend at our favorite spot, the lake!!!!

Lotte is finally big enough for her little turtle!

First fish!! The boys had a big fishing trip Saturday morning and fried us up some yummy dinner that night!!

Playing with Pops after he got in from work

Playin' in her pool

Playtime with Dada (which isn't too often right now during football season, they both enjoyed their time together!)

Swimming with Nana

Happy 26th birthday Uncle Vinny!!! We are so happy that we got to spend it with you! (Note... can of beer, kethcup bottle and single match in the cake... so Gun Barrel City and soooo Vinny's b-day!!)

Fisherman coming in from an evening troll

Watchin' for the boys to come in... love it.

Playing with Dada before bed

One of my favorite pics - Grandpa and Charlotte

And then she decided to chew on the oxygen...

Family pic with the celebrity

3 generations

Do you think they're related at all?!?!

Love my Grandpa Cecil!!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sad we missed it:( Charlotte is getting cuter by the day, if that's possible! Love the one of her chewing on Gramps' oxygen cord:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, your description of your grandparents made me cry! I lost my grandmother in May (you may remember) and our first baby girl will be named after her :-) Such a beautiful story and beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete