Sunday, January 31, 2010

Welcome Charlotte Grace

January 6th 1:41 pm
6 lb 15 oz (25%)
18 3/4 inches (10-25%)
32.5 cm (10%)

"On the night you were born,
the moon smiled with such wonder
that the stars peeked in to see you
and the night wind whispered,
Life will never be the same."

Charlotte, I will never forget the day you were born. Your dad and I went to the hospital at 6:00am. It was freezing cold! Your arrival was during the 2010 "artic blast" - the coldest temperatures in 20-something years! We walked straight to our room, the nurses were wonderful and had me all set up in no time. I got my epidural at about 8:30, then Dr. Napier came and broke my water and we started the pitocin. I was really nervous but the epidural was great and I wasn't feeling much pain at all! Your dad brought the iPod speaker and played Kenny Chesney so I would relax - it worked! Nana and Aunt Lauren came first, they kept us company while we anxiously waited. The nurse checked me at about 11 and I was dilated to 4 so Nana and Lo went to get lunch. Less than 1 hour later I was ready to have you. We called them and they came flying back from Wendy's! 7 pushes later and you were here!!! You were such a surprise, you didn't look anything like I had imagined you! You were such a little peanut, with dark hair! You weren't chubby at all. You had beautiful dark blue eyes, a tiny button nose and the sweetest little mouth. The first thing your dad said when he saw you on the warmer was "She has your chin!". He took tons of pictures of you and took them out to show you off to your grandparents and Lauren. (Papaw and Ja-Ja had arrived just in time!) Then we had about an hour with you. I will never forget it. You were so alert, you nursed like a pro and just looked at everyone. We passed you around, it was love at first sight. I said "let's unwrap her" and your grandmothers ran over like two little girls - they were so excited! We looked at all of your tiny little fingers and toes and inspected you from head to toe. Then you had to go to the nursery... where you screamed for 3 hours straight!! Your temperature was low so they made you lay naked under the warmer and you were furious! Your Ja-Ja stayed outside the window with you the whole time, she was so sad for you. I am so glad I wasn't there, I can't stand to hear you cry. They let me go by you on the way to my room and your tongue was moving constantly like a little lizard, it was so funny. You still do it occasionally when you're hungry and I always think of the hospital. You finally got all bathed and fixed up and came to our room. You looked more beautiful everytime they brought you to me. Your skin was so soft and became more and more pink. You were so sweet and peaceful, I don't ever remember you crying in the hospital. And the lactation consultant said you were brilliant!! You were a superstar feeder from the beginning (which became evident at your 2 week check up!) Your Pops came to see you that night when he got in town from a business trip. As soon as he held you he said, "We aren't going to let you move to Austin". And I got big tears in my eyes. We will miss Nana and Pops a lot. We got to go home the very next day as soon as the pediatrician checked you out. He said you were perfect. Nana came that afternoon to sit with us and help us home. We put you in your warm little bear outfit and loaded you up in the Jeep. And life will never be the same!

"Heaven blew every trumpet
and played every horn,
on the wonderful, marvelous
night you were born."

Anxiously waiting!!

Here I am!!

Daddy's girl

Our first pic together

Love at first sight

You and Ja-Ja

You and Pa-paw

Nana and Pops admiring you

Beautiful baby girl

Getting to know my dad

Snuggling with mama

First smile caught on camera!


Heading home!

No comments:

Post a Comment