Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Crazy 8.


All eight Koebel girls under one roof for five days... what a blast. Mom hosted the sisters reunion this year complete with a homemade italian feast Thursday night, a weekend at the lake, and a trip to the Dallas Arboretum and Northpark Mall. But the real fun was around the dinner table, on the deck at the lake and squished together on the couch at night. They told stories, filled each other in on the latest scoop, laughed a lot and cried a lot. I was at work most of the time they were here but I managed to squeeze in a little bit of time with them. I wish I could have just been a fly on the wall the whole time.

These 8 women are something very special. They have experienced more sadness than anyone should ever know. 3 have lost their very own children. 2 have lost the love of their life, 1 at the age of 30 with 4 kids under the age of 8. The other just last year, days before their 50th anniversary. All of them lost their mom almost 30 years ago and their dad almost 20 years ago. And they have all experienced the ups and downs of life.

But, these ladies have incredible strength. They know what life is really all about. Their mother taught them about love. They love Jesus. They love each other. And they love their families. They put all of their energy into serving others. They don't worry about what other people think. They do what is right. And despite what they have been through, they still know how to have a good time. They love a cold beer, good food and of course a good Koebel wedding with lots of dancing. These eight women are my idols.

I can't imagine the ache in my mom's heart when she boarded the plane to Texas for the first time. She left her 7 besties behind. And to know that she did it because it was best for us means the world to me. That's the Koebel way. I pray that I can pass some of those amazing ways on to my sweet children.

Charlotte, you better hope for some of those Koebel genes - look at those beautiful ladies!!

I will never forget this. All 8 of them holding hands and singing a prayer before dinner. I just know Grandma and Grandpa must have been smiling down on them from heaven. They must be so proud.

All 4 of us on 1 couch cushion.

Ruthie and Lauren

Playing chicken foot!

Ruthie and Vinny

Charlotte always found Aunt Krissy when it was nap time - she knew a good snuggler when she saw one!

I love this pic - Ruthie admiring Charlotte's tiny little feet and Charlotte smiling at her Aunt Lauren... so sweet.

Bathing beauties (and Cash figured out really fast that Ruthie is the dog lover!)

My boy :)

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Post and very nice pics! BTW you are an awesome mom! As far as those Crazy 8's go... I love 'em all and you hit the nail on the head. When I describe them I refer to them as "The Buckeye Chapter of Steel Magnolias" --doug

    ReplyDelete