Thursday, June 28, 2012

Happy Birthday Olivia Mae

I'm pretty sure your child's birthday is a day that can never be forgotten, but I will document it anyway! Nana came in town the night before so she could be at the hospital for Olivia's arrival, and then come home to spend a few days with Charlotte. What a blessing! The surgery was scheduled for 12:30 so we spent the morning at home. I would have prefered the first case of the day but it worked out just fine. I had time to shower, get a few last things packed up and spend some time snuggling my first baby. I was just nervous enough to not be hungry but not a nervous wreck either. Martha came as usual to take Charlotte to Rolly Pollies and Chick-fil-A, so Char was just fine waving us off!!

The hospital experience was wonderful. Everyone was very nice, especially my pre-op nurse Julie who helped to calm a lot of my fears. Holly Helms, my good buddy from Dallas, was my anesthesiologist. So fun!! She is amazing at her job and it was very comforting to have her in the OR. The surgery went very well (other than the 2 hours of vomiting afterwards)... lovely. We figured out why Olivia did not flip over as we wished she would - her cord was wrapped around her neck 2.5 times. Dr. Kish told us that if we would have attempted to flip her at 37 weeks, it could have been fatal. Gulp. Such a terrible thought. She did not look so hot when she came out. She was not breathing at all and just limp. She scared her mama to death who could see the pediatrician resuscitating her. It only lasted a couple of minutes but those minutes felt like forever. I still thank God often for the wisdom and skill of those doctors who took care of us, as we could have had a very different outcome. Once I got to my post-partum room I was feeling much better and snuggled my girl for the rest of the day. She nursed like a champ right off the bat, my girls come out ready to eat!! The nausea was gone as quickly as it came on and soon I was starving! Dr. Kish told me I could eat when I was ready, but the nurses would only give me clears. So thankfully JaJa brought some banana nut bread and I ate a half a loaf!! I think banana bread will always remind me of my Livi Lou!!!

Ready to roll!


This prayer was in the room where Sam sat waiting for me to be prepped so he could come into the OR. I think it is so sweet.

Happy to see daddy, I was pretty scared at this point!

My poor blue baby, I hate this picture but a good reminder to thank God for our healthy little Olivia.

I remember this vividly - I saw her grab the bag like "Get that thing off of me, I'm breathing!". What a sigh of relief.

Holly taking good care of me!

Yay for a crying baby girl!

Pretty in pink

Love at first sight.



6lb 13oz and 20 inches - perfect!

Dr. Kish and Ashley

Daddy's girl

We see this little lip a lot these days, what a drama queen!


Meeting Papaw. JaJa and Nana were there too but I guess they were behind the camera!!



No comments:

Post a Comment